Did you know Americans consume about 160lbs of sugar(not good sugars either) a year? Curious where all the extra weight over the year came from. I’m sure that Americans aren’t the only ones who are consuming an excess amount of sugar. Why do we consume so much sugar? Well, the government subsidizes corn(not a real vegetable), making high fructose corn syrup(fake sugar) cheaper than sugar. That’s why high fructose corn syrup is in almost everything we eat.
Besides the fact the government profits off how unhealthy its citizens are. Something for you to think about. Are you addicted to sugar? Consuming sugar has similar effects as cocaine. It has the effect to alter moods, giving the ability to induce rewards and pleasure, leading you to seek out sugar.
Consumption of sugar releases dopamine. When consuming a lot of sugar your tolerance begins to lower. what happens when you don’t receive your fix of sugar? You experience dopamine depletion, sugar withdrawal, ADHD like symptoms, and can fall into a mild state of depression. Dopamine is the neurotransmitter for reward. Why you think doctors give kids a sugar-filled lollipop after they give them a shot.
Effects of added sugars/ Fructose corn syrup on the body
- Added sugars have no essential health benefits and it’s bad for your teeth.
- Fructose corn syrup is bad for your liver. Overloading the liver with fructose can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. The body produces glucose. You will find glucose in all living cells. The body does not produce fructose.
- Sugar boost the amount of insulin your body produces. Insulin resistance can lead to metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.
- Sugar can lead to cancer. Insulin is a key hormone that grows cancer cells.
- consuming fructose corn syrup leaves you feeling hungry. When consuming fructose corn syrup the satiety part of the brain has less activity, leaving you feeling hungry.
According to the American heart association. Men are supposed to consume 150 calories of sugar(37.5g or 9tbsp) and women are supposed to consume 100 calories of sugar(25g or 6 tbsp). To put in perspective the amount of sugar your consuming. One Snickers bar is 120 calories from sugar. A 12 oz. Coke is 140 calories from sugar. We’re consuming most of our carbs from liquids (Juice, soda, and alcohol). Everyone loves to cut “carbs”(bread, rice. oats, grains), but doesn’t seem like too many of us are trying to cut juice, soda maybe, or alcohol(a vice the majority of us have.) Caffeine junkies and coffee lovers. All that creamer and added sugars are destroying your insides. If you drink coffee frequently and you add a whole bunch of stuff like whip cream, Carmel, fruit, yes all the good stuff. Well, this good stuff has negative long-term effects.
Natural sugars are found in fruits like fructose and in diaries such as milk and cheese as lactose( consume in moderation). Stevia is one of my favorite sugar substitutes along with honey.
I’m not here to get you but assist.
If you find my blog informative and helpful.